Thursday, January 26, 2012

Get Organized: A Prettier Dry Erase Board


Hello again!  If you are anything like me, you probably find yourself always making lists.  I make lists all the time - at home and at work (a teacher loves and lives by a good list).  Dry erase boards can be pretty ugly sometimes, so today I have a super easy and quick tutorial for making a prettier dry erase board.  Ready?!

First, you'll need a frame.  Get a cheap one.  I got this one at a "big box" store for $3.  

Next, take the mat out and trace it on a plain piece of white card stock.  Cut the card stock down to size. (Mine was 8 x 10.)

Then, select a pretty fabric.  I am using Ruby Dot in Lime.  (Note - you probably want to use one that isn't took dark or busy - something that will be a nice background to your list.)  Iron your fabric and place it face down with the card stock on top.  Trim the fabric so you have a little border around each side. 

Now, get some tape.  I love the blue tape ... its easy to rip, remove and use again.  Fold the edges up and tape them down. 

Put the fabric in the frame behind the glass and secure the back.

And you're ready to list away ... 

Here's a few ideas for your new pretty dry erase board, which can be used all around the house! 

I recently picked up a larger frame (11 x 14) that I plan to spray paint first (it's an ugly "wooden" color) and make another board.  I also thought it might be kind of fun to make a patchwork "calendar" (squares sewn together with different prints) to put behind the glass.  The best part of this is that you can quickly and easily change the fabric out when you have a new favorite! :-)

So what do you think?  I'd love to see your prettier dry erase board if you make one! :-) 

Don't forget there is still time to share an organizing tip for our current Stitch & Share Challenge.  We'll draw an random participant to receive a $20 gift certificate to the shop

C'mon back Saturday for the new guest post in the "Get Organized' Series. 

Happy Sewing! :-)

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I will have to make a place for these in my new sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea!! I think I am going to make a few of these today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. been wanting to get a dry board but knew what i wrote on it would be there for a while and probably stain/inbed not sure what i want to call it but knew when i erased it the words would probably still be there this is absolutely wonderful thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)