Thursday, May 9, 2013

S is for Susanna

Today I wanted to share a project I finished several weeks ago.  A college girlfriend of mine received the sweetest Christmas gift back in December ... the birth of her little girl (after two boys).  I was super thrilled ... most of my friends have boys and y'all all know I love me some pink and polka dotted fabrics.  :-)

My friend has had me make Bible covers for her two little men and, of course, she asked me to make one for her sweet little girl, Susanna.


I pulled some pretty pink and green paisley from my stash for this and added some dots from Cherry on Top, some green from Trade Winds, and a little pink honeycomb from Good Morning.


I always applique their initial on the front and I hope she'll grow up loving her personalized cover.


I always machine applique with a zig zag stitch.  I used to make lots and lots of letter shirts for my sorority, so after thousands of omegas, curves don't scare me anymore.  :-)  I hand drew the "s" and used a cup for the center circle and eyeballed the second circle.


Fortunately, when it came to the moment of truth, it fit perfectly.Whew!

Do you ever machine applique?  If its something you'd like some tips on, let me know and I will work on some tutorials this summer.

Happy Sewing!  :-)

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cover. I'm sure she will cherish it over time. I do a little machine appliqué, but can always learn a thing or two, or more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a tutorial on machine applique especially on curves! This bible cover is sew very sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this! i need you to make me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute...covers always help, that's for sure. =) I've only done minimal applique, mostly because I find it time consuming and I haven't needed to do it. You could definitely do a tutorial...I'm sure I'd learn something. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bible cover looks great! I would love to learn how to machine applique. I really want to make a Sun Bonnet Sue sometime, but I can't see having the patience to hand applique it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love some tips on machine applique. I've seen it done with machine blanket stitching, which my machine does, and I like that effect, but I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter came home from school today and informed me that she wants me to make some DZ stitches for her - she is tired of the prices at the greek store - so I will be clothing her and her big - and maybe picking up some business, too! Any tips would be great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)