Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tutorial : Hand Quilted Journal Cover

Hi everyone!

I was recently asked to participate in a hand made series over at Clover & Violet, so I put together a tutorial for hand quilting a sketch book cover.


You can read more about the hand quilting process here at Clover & Violet.

To make the cover, I modified the Swatch Book Cover Pattern from Michelle Patterns to fit the size of a standard composition book cover.  Since I followed her directions for construction, I don't want to share them here as a "tutorial" but will give you the measurements and modifications I made to create my book cover.

Modifications to Michelle Patterns Swatch Book Cover Pattern

  • I chose to omit the flap closure for this particular project. 
  • I used a 1/4" seam to baste the lining and flap pockets together. 
  • I used a 1/2" seam when I attached the front to the lining/pockets and left a 3" opening along the bottom instead of one of the sides.
  • I used a 1/8" seam to topstitch around the entire piece to finish. 
  • I used interfacing on the Crossweave (top and pockets) as well as on the lining, but didn't clip the corners before fusing (although I would next time to avoid some bulk).  Since I had quilted my top panel to flannel, I omitted the additional layer of sew-in interfacing called for in the pattern.
  • Measurements:  Top and lining measurements are 11.5" x 16.75" presew.  Pockets were cut 10" x 11.5" (fold along long edge for a 5" x 11.5" folded flaps). 
The pattern is well-written and easy to follow and includes instructions and pattern pieces for two sizes of Moleskin Cahier notebooks.  


To learn more about how I quilted the Moda Crossweave with Perle cotton check out my tutorial at Clover & Violet


For this project, I used Moda Crossweave in Natural, a Honey Honey by Kate Spain print for the lining, and Perle in Medium Sea Green and Light Violet.

If you're interested, my sample is available for sale here

Thanks for stopping by today!

Happy Sewing!  :-) 

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your post. I wanted to thank you for my prize during the series of the Perle cotton sampler card. Thanks, can't wait to try the thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she used two different colors for stitching! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)